Wednesday, January 14, 2015

School Cheer. *440*

     This year I have faced a problem that has severely pissed me off. The funding for cheer here was cut.
Meaning now there is only one squad and it is just ONE Varsity squad. No freshman at all. Sophomores on varsity. And the normal junior and seniors still.
     Now yes the younger ones that made it on the team are good. I am not saying they are not. Yet, one of my main problems is that I have been in cheer since my freshman year way back when, and this is MY first year on a varsity squad as a JUNIOR. I have worked for it. I have gone through the "phases". I have earned my years for my spot on the squad, just like most of the older girls on the squad. And once again, the younger ones do have skill, I am not doubting that, but it absolutely frustrates me that these girls (even though they do work hard and have skill) just got their spots on a varsity squad handed to them. I do not mean that in the sense the failed at tryouts but still got it, no, I mean the years leading up to it.
    Another problem to me is they cut the teams for "no funding" yet we got new warm ups and new uniforms. To me that does not make sense at all, because it was thousands of dollars to get them, but we can't keep two other teams that cost nothing? I am sorry but that sounds ludicrous to me.
    If it was a problem with time and coaches, why couldn't we have kept the teams and hired another coach, which we did anyways...
So that does not make sense to me at all, in no shape or form.
   It also irritates me that girls that have been doing cheer longer than I have been got their spots taken by the younger. Almost all the younger girls tumble too. Which adds to extra points. So when a lot of our scores came out for who was on which squad or for who was not on the squad at all, the younger girls beat most of us by two..
  Also being one varsity squad, we got split up travel and non-travel for football season. Which as if the squad was not clearly divided enough, it made it worse.
  I love cheer. It is my home. I miss how it used to be. There has been quite a few issues this year and it has been a little unfortunate, but the juniors have already had some ideas to make the best of next year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment